If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Taiping Wet Char Kuey Teow with Fish balls 太平炒魚丸粿條 (fried flat rice noodles)


We went to Taiping during Raya holidays recently, and had many nice foods and visited few interesting places, I hope to quickly compile those photos and share with you soon. And we had an interesting plate of difference style of Char Kuey Teow in Taiping. Their fried Kuey Teow is wet style (slight watery) and with fish balls. We like this slightly wet style of fried Kuey Teow and I just copycat it today.


fb6 copy
This is a plate of fish balls Char Kuey Teow I tried at Taiping, full of "wok hei" !

fb

 
My copycat version, not bad though! so long you added lard oil and fried lard, the taste will not run too far from the original version, but my home cooked still lacking of "wok hei"..

fb7 copy


fb1


fb10.jpg

 
The best to enjoy this kuey teow with pickled green chillies and a cup of Kopi!
fb8 copy

Taiping Wet Char Kuey Teow with Fish balls 太平炒魚丸粿條 (fried flat rice noodles)
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

Ingredients for one plate (per pax)
200g fresh Kuey Teow (use for stir fry type), loosen it
fb6 copy 2tbsp lard oil
Char Siew slices
Pork slices
Fish cake slices
Fish balls
Green mustard (sayur sawi)

Pre-mix sauce for one plate (per pax)
1tbsp dark soy sauce
1tsp fish sauce
1tsp light soy sauce
1tsp sugar
A pinch of salt or to taste
Half bowl of water (small soup bowl)
Fried shallots
Fried lard
Pickled green chillies
Method
1.     Heat lard oil in a wok. Add in pork slices, fish cake and fish balls, stir for few seconds, then add in green mustard and Char Siew slices, stir fry for another few seconds. (Next time I will add Char Siew slices after fried Kuey Teow is done, so it will look more presentable)
2.     Add in fresh Kuey Teow, followed by water, add in the pre-mix sauce, cook till sauce slight thicken but still watery.
3.     Add in fried shallots and lards, dish out and serve hot with pickled green chillies.

Homemade Easy Char Siew (Roast pork)

200g lean pork , cut into 1" strips
1 and 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2tsp salt or to taste
1tsp light soy sauce
1tsp Chinese rice wine
a pinch of Chinese five spices powder
a pinch of red yeast powder

Method
1.     Marinate pork with all seasonings for 4 hrs or overnight.
Bake at 200C for 25mins and grill for 10mins or until cooked.

I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest Perak month hosted by 
WendyinKK of Table for Two....or more 

30 comments:

Jozelyn Ng said...

I haven't had my lunch and may I eat the kueh teow now?

Mel said...

Oh, I have not try this Taiping fried kuey tiaw before. Looks real yummy, as usual I always preferred the wet version than the dried ones.

Suet Ling said...

similiar looks and smell good~~hehe

Joceline Lor said...

Original 的鱼丸炒果条是用一种大大片的叶子包的。而且更有特色的是坐在bang ku,用火炭炉在地面炒的。很香的果条 就可是比较油腻而已。好吃的!现在没有蹲着炒的果条了。因为卫生的问题。所以这炒果条也 naik pangkat 了。小贩必须提高卫生意思在桌面炒。哈哈哈。。。你吃的是哪一档呢?

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

很吸引人的炒果条, 希望现在可以在我面前。
那么, 我就不必煮晚餐了!

Anonymous said...

My family & I went to Taiping on the 2nd day hari raya, We have tasted this dish too in one of the hawker centre. They named this dish"teow chew chay kueh teow".

~董夫人~ said...

Looks so delicious.. hungry me!
Take so... One plate , please!

Small Kucing said...

Wah...making me kepunan....

Alice said...

hhhmmm I know I will love this dish :)

ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com said...

Hi Sonia, my sis-in-law used to cook this whenever we go back to Taiping but so far I haven't had it at any of the shop in Taiping. Must try your recipe one day. Thanks for sharing :)

ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com said...

Hi Sonia, my sis-in-law used to cook this whenever we go back to Taiping but so far I haven't had it at any of the shop in Taiping. Must try your recipe one day. Thanks for sharing :)

Baby Sumo said...

Interesting... I think I only have wet version from Malay stalls before, normally the Chinese ones I have are all dried version. Hope I can try this someday.

cikmanggis said...

hai my dear Sonia..apa khabar ?Wah Jalan-jalan cari makan hor :)

Li Shuan said...

有猪油的炒粿条肯定好吃! 香到我这里来了。。。hociak

Unknown said...

Sonia, how i miss this cha kueh tiew, every times i went back there must eat this. it is yummy. Agree with Joceline, they will wrap it in the big leave.

Esther Lau said...

Love this wet style kueh teow!!! I'm going to Taiping soon, hope to try it out! Thanks ;)

Artsylicious said...

Sonia, I thought I just had my dinner, but I'm hungry again now... all because of your kueh teow! haha... yummy

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, this fried koay teow reminds me of my late Taiping uncle. He used to ta pau this noodle [wrap in yam leaves] for me as supper whenever I stayed at his house during school holidays. It's good and different from Pg Char Koay Teow.

PH said...

Sonia, this one ho chiak, lor! I want to eat! At home can't achieve wok hei unless want to burn down the kitchen hee..hee...

Victoria Bakes said...

your blog always make me 破戒!i refrain from char kway tiao but after looking at this, i decided to order a plate!

Lite Home Bake said...

This reminds me of hokkien mee. Looks good!

choi yen said...

Tried once when I was at Taiping, too wet for my liking :P

Unknown said...

wow i love this char kuey teow. The ones in Singapore tend to be more dry. I like your version better.

mui mui said...

Chi, I never tasted Taiping CKT before but looking at yours I know it really good!

I made some of your pickled green chillies the other day. They taste so good. Do I keep them (bottled ones) in fridge or just in the room temperature?
mui

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Mui mui, you can just keep the pickled green chilies in room temperature, after a week still can't finish, then only put inside the fridge .

lena said...

i see that it also comes with char siew..next time if got time, must go and look out for this taiping wet fried koay teow

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , it's late and I'm craving something fried lol Your char keuy toew looks drool-worthy ! Yum !!!!

WendyinKK said...

Thanks for your submission.
Next time I want to try this in Taiping too.
Last time, I had a square Wat Dan Hor somewhere a bit out of Taiping town. the kway teow is cut square shaped, quite cute.

Audz said...

Did you have this at the Larut "food court"? so far i have tried stall number 78 (i hope i got this right), the one near the nyonya kuih guy. Yummy and not forgetting cheap!

Bali Tour said...

This is great article
Thank you for the recipe
I will try to cook

Blog Widget by LinkWithin